About Unity of Tustin
Unity of Tustin Mission Statement
Healing Lives, Building Dreams, Realizing God
Unity of Tustin Vision Statement
Unity of Tustin is a mystical, spiritual center of radiating Light and Love, transforming consciousness
Unity of Tustin is a member of the Association of Unity Churches, and affiliated with Unity, publishers of The Daily Word.
Our Church History
Unity Church of Tustin, once known as Unity Church of Truth, was founded in 1948 in a small white house on South Main Street in Santa Ana. In 1949, it moved to its first “real” church building under the direction of Myron and Estelle Key as co-ministers. This was a large two-story building at 2015 North Broadway in Santa Ana.
In 1958, Leroy Tuntlan became the minister. When he married Hertha, she joined him as co-minister in 1963. During this period of time Unity moved to a new church home at 401 E. Santa Ana Blvd., a large building that now houses the Seventh Day Adventist Korean Church.
In 1973 Phillip Nicola became the new senior minister and would serve until 1981. Under his leadership, the church continued to grow and moved to a new location at 710 South Cambridge in Orange. This facility now houses the Zion Christian Center.
From 1981 to 1985 Paul Barrett Served as Senior Minister. The church made a decision to sell the Cambridge building during this time, with plans to purchase other land and build on it. The congregation moved temporarily to rented quarters at the Ebell Club in Santa Ana.
From 1986 to 1988 Nellie Simpson-Fleming served as minister. During her tenure, nearly three acres were purchased here at 14402 South Prospect Avenue in Tustin. The two older houses on the property were included in the sale. The small white house we call Hummingbird House. The larger white house, which we call Victoria House, is over 100 years old.
Architect Joe Woollett was commissioned to design other buildings for this site. As a result of the previous sale of the Cambridge Street property, the church was blessed with some financial reserves, which allowed them to pay for both the acquisition of the land and the first phase of building. A financial portfolio was also established to provide a nest egg for future building.
Jeanette Hedge came to serve as Senior Minister from 1988 to 1992. In 1990, the congregation moved from the Ebell Club to this new site on Prospect. Services were held in Victoria House and the offices and bookstore were in the smaller Hummingbird house. The first structure to be built was a small sanctuary that sat 85 people. The construction of the Administrative Building and Children’s Education Building complete Phase 1 of the conceptual plan. Gary Sosbee served briefly as Minister during January and February of 1993.
Dr. Marj Britt
Dr. Marj Britt came to us in the Spring of 1993 and became our Senior Minister. Under her leadership, the congregation began to grow in consciousness as well as numbers. When she arrived, there were typically 30 people on campus and currently we average over 300 people on campus on Sundays. Unity of Tustin is now a seven-day-a-week ministry with an active School of Light Adult Education Program and a wide variety of ministerial services in addition to our Sunday Celebration Services.
In 1998, the sanctuary was expanded to create space for 205 people. The decision was made to not build any other structures on campus and instead develop Meditation Gardens that embody the teachings of Unity of Tustin. These gardens include eight sites representing the seven days of creation based on Charles Filmore’s interpretation.
Rev. Lois Ryan joined us in 1994 as our Associate Minister. She has been active in developing our Adult Sunday School, Prayer Ministry, Healing Ministry, Pastoral Care, Chaplain Program, and other special areas of ministry.
The vision of Unity of Tustin is dynamic and awe-inspiring. Its mission is about healing lives, building dreams, and Realizing God. Unity is stepping into the future, preparing for the new generation, present, and waiting.